When you have a pet dog, it is important to learn about the symptoms of pet toxicity. This will help you observe the change in the behavior of your dogs and take care of your pet. Mentioned below are some of the common symptoms that a pet owner should know about:
1. Loss of appetite
One of the earliest symptoms of pet toxicity is the loss of appetite. If your dog skips one meal, there is nothing to worry, but when your pet does not want to eat at all, it is a sign that needs to be checked on. Loss of appetite can also be due to other illnesses as well.
Drooling is usually a sign of nausea. If your dog is experiencing poisoning, you may notice excessive drooling, and if this is followed by foaming in the mouth, your dog needs to be rushed to the veterinarian.
Vomiting can occur in dogs who have ingested something toxic. The vomiting can be a result of internal bleeding, but it can be with or without the presence of blood. If your dog has ingested something harmful, pet owners should never induce vomiting, which can do more harm than good.
Dog poisoning can cause internal bleeding, which can make their stool appear discolored. The stool becomes black, green, or yellow and is an indicator that the harmful toxins are being flushed out.
5. Rash or irritation
When the toxin enters the bloodstream through the skin, a rash may develop at the place where the skin came in contact with the poison. The skin may become red, and the dog may experience continuous itching.
6. Excessive panting
Dogs normally pant when they are excited or after physical activity. However, heavy and labored panting can be a sign that you need to pay attention to immediately. This heavy and excessive panting can be a reaction to swallowing something poisonous.
7. Loss of coordination
The dog will lose the ability to balance, fall, or have difficulty walking when it has been affected by a toxin. This symptom of pet toxicity is serious, and the dog should be taken to veterinary care.
8. Tremor or seizures
When a toxin is ingested and affects the kidney, the dog may have tremors. Tremors are spontaneous muscle contraction that occurs in the body, which will make your dog shiver and shake. Acute tremors can also lead to seizures, which will result in loss of consciousness, involuntary urination or defecation, and drooling excessively.
This lethargy can also be attributed to many other causes but can also be due to poisoning. If your dog is experiencing an extreme lack of energy, it may be due to the harmful effects of the ingested toxin. If this symptom persists for more than a day or is accompanied by diarrhea or vomiting, take your dog to the vet.
The severity of the symptoms of pet toxicity will depend on the type and quantity of poison they have ingested. If you think your dog has been exposed to toxins, seek veterinary care immediately.